Sunday, June 3, 2018

To Kill a Kingdom book review

To Kill a Kingdom book review
Book title: To Kill a Kingdom

Page number: 342

Date published: 6/3/2018

Date read: 3/6/2018

Genre: Fantasy/ retelling/ YA

Rating:5/5

Synopsis: Princess Lira is siren royalty and the most lethal of them all. With the hearts of seventeen princes in her collection, she is revered across the sea. Until a twist of fate forces her to kill one of her own. To punish her daughter, the Sea Queen transforms Lira into the one thing they loathe most—a human. Robbed of her song, Lira has until the winter solstice to deliver Prince Elian’s heart to the Sea Queen or remain a human forever.


The ocean is the only place Prince Elian calls home, even though he is heir to the most powerful kingdom in the world. Hunting sirens is more than an unsavory hobby—it’s his calling. When he rescues a drowning woman in the ocean, she’s more than what she appears. She promises to help him find the key to destroying all of siren kind for good—But can he trust her? And just how many deals will Elian have to barter to eliminate mankind’s greatest enemy?
My review:

Points on writing: The two points of view were easy to tell apart. Meaning when the author changed points of view you didn't get confused by who was thinking and speaking because they had definitive ways of speaking and thinking.

Plot: The plot was perfect, I didn't read the synopsis of the book which meant I went into the book blind. I feel like that was the perfect way to go about it. Going in blind meant I didn't realise it was a retelling until the change. I love retellings of fairy tales and the way this story was twisted and changed was the perfect amount.

Characters: Prince Elian - From the moment we met Prince Elian I thought he was going to be a spoiled rich boy, but he was everything but. He was selfless and caring which made him my favourite character throughout the book. He just wants to make the world a safer, kinder place, for everyone and he doesn't care how he has to do it.
Princess Lira - At first I kind of hated Lira, I feel like that is the point though. She is a little naive and annoying about humans, which I obviously know a lot about. But as she learns more I start to enjoy her more, she is witty and sharp-tongued which I love in a character. Her character development makes the story, how her opinions grow and change with her is very important and when she feels her heart beat against her chest made mine feel like it was going to explode.

Background characters - The relationship between Kye and Madrid is the best background relationship I think I have ever seen. They are both funny and Madrid has an amazing background story. These background characters build a huge part of Prince Elian's story, and they make the whole story even more interesting.

Ending: Perfect. I can't even describe how much I loved this ending.

Overall feelings and would I reread: I am going to reread this book. I loved the characters, every single one. The plot was perfect and the writing style was my cup of tea. There were only two points of views which isn't too many or not enough for the storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Kill a Kingdom book review

To Kill a Kingdom book review Book title: To Kill a Kingdom Page number: 342 Date published: 6/3/2018 Date read: 3/6/2018 Genre: F...